For some people, the word "repair" sounds scarier than anything else. There are legends, anecdotes and folk wisdom about the "Great and Terrible Repair".
But in fact, you can do it easily. You just need to start the right way. We offer a 10-step scenario that will allow you not to forget anything and renovate your dream apartment (or house) in Cyprus.
New building or resale?
Of course, renovating housing in a new building or where there has already been some kind of repair is two different things. Moreover, in new buildings there are also different situations - roughing, pre-finishing and fine finishing. How to be?
This article proposes a rather universal scheme: the first stages relate to rough finishing, the subsequent ones to pre-finishing and finishing, respectively. You can start at the stage that suits your situation.
For example, if you bought a resale, but seriously intend to change absolutely everything in it (that is, create a state of rough finish on your own), then you should start from the first stage. If your task is just to change the situation, then you can go from the 7th stage.
Stage 1: moral preparation
It sounds ridiculous, but in fact, mental preparation is very important. Because "moral preparation" in fact is the recognition and assimilation of a sea of information!
Here's what happens roughly while the owners are preparing to renovate their apartment in Cyprus (and it doesn't matter if it's a major overhaul or a cosmetic one):
- If possible, allocate at least 1 month, or even more, to study all the issues. During this time, ideas will take time to take shape in the head, pitfalls will emerge. And there are more interesting solutions.
- Imagine that you have returned to the institute again - look for knowledge! Read articles, subscribe to relevant pages in social networks. If you are several adults, separate the “areas of responsibility”. For example, one is studying issues on flooring, the second - on home insulation.
- Go shopping. By real and online stores in your city (and, in principle, the whole of Cyprus). This is necessary so that you have a clear idea of prices and, in general, what the modern market offers.
- Identify compromise and non-compromise solutions. Let each family member have one uncompromising decision. For example, mom really wants a leather sofa, dad wants a mini pantry, and a child wants a blue carpet in the nursery. And with other decisions, be prepared to make concessions.
- If possible, make new acquaintances (or strengthen old ones) with those people who understand the field of repair. Advice from a living person based on personal experience is a pretty valuable thing, especially in this age of the Internet.
- Get a separate book and write a work plan there. Back everything up. By the time new items stop appearing in the book and old ones are crossed out, you will be ready for repairs.
And finally, one little piece of advice. Mentally be prepared for the fact that not everything will go smoothly. If you know that it is in your nature to dramatize and take it to heart, then get ready in advance.
Stage 2: redevelopment
It is worth starting a major overhaul with redevelopment. The demolition of walls or the installation of new partitions is practically an element of construction. Therefore, before all the work you need to do this step.
Tip: many Cypriot developers accept requests for planning - if the house has not yet begun to be built. This option is available not only in the elite and business class, but also in some "comforts".
Do not forget that before redevelopment, you need to obtain the appropriate permission from the engineer. This may take some time, so it is best to submit your application and work plan as soon as possible.
View new buildings in Cyprus.
Stage 3: leveling the walls and floor screed, sealing cracks
Traditionally, the floor screed is performed first, and only then they work with the walls. As a rule, these works have already been completed in new buildings, but not all new settlers are satisfied with their quality.
Also, this stage will be required if the apartment or house is old, and you need to re-bring the walls and floor into a divine form.
Tip: at the same time, it is recommended to treat surfaces from mold, if any.
Pay attention to all cracks and places where leaks can occur. If you feel that your knowledge is not enough, contact a specialist. It is at this stage that it is important to work out all the little things so that further work does not go down the drain.
Stage 4: electrical wiring manipulation
This step is best left to the experts. Since any change (from replacing an old cable with a new one to “multiplication” of sockets) requires careful analysis and planning.
Your task is to decide in which rooms and how the lamps and electrical appliances will be located. Be sure to indicate to the electricians the locations of future large household appliances: a water heater, an air conditioner / split system, a home theater, and so on.
Also think about the lighting scheme. It is advisable that the electrician has already seen a sketch of your rooms. You can do it by hand or hire a visual designer.
The controversial question: when to lay the wiring: before plastering or after? There is no answer to the question, since you need to look at your situation. Sometimes the depth of the plaster is enough, and it is not necessary to ditch the wall. And sometimes - on the contrary.
Stage 5: soundproofing
If you want to make soundproofing, then you need to think about it at the first stages of repair. It is difficult to overestimate the importance of silence in the apartment - no one will like constant anxiety from neighbors and loud sounds from the street.
There are several options for economical soundproofing:
- separate rooms: for example, a nursery, an office and a bedroom
- separate walls: usually these are the walls between your apartment and the neighbor's apartment
- floor - if you are only disturbed by noisy neighbors below
- roof - even light rain will seem like real hail if the roof is not insulated.
Rooms and apartments are rarely equipped with sound insulation as a whole - it turns out to be quite expensive. It is even rarer to install soundproof protection when sound is not coming out. This option is in demand only where the houses are engaged in rather noisy activities (music, machines work, etc.).
Tip: soundproofing the ceiling has little effect. If it is possible to negotiate with the neighbors from above, lay their floor soundproofing, it will be much better.
In addition, some heaters ALREADY give a good soundproofing effect. Therefore, if you are going to insulate a house or apartment, think about it, perhaps the characteristics of the selected materials will be enough for you.
Stage 6: warming
It's no secret that wintering in Cyprus in houses without heating (and these are almost all houses, except for business class and elite class, as well as hotels) is not very fun. There are many ways to heat the air, but all of them are expensive.
Read more about heating in Cyprus.
But there are several life hacks that will allow you to significantly insulate your home in Cyprus and save on heating.
Here they are:
- Internal insulation of apartment walls and roofs. Yes, you can also insulate your home from the inside! Of course, this will not be as effective as insulation from the outside, but you will win an extra 2-3 degrees. And for Cyprus, this is very good!
- Installation of double glazed windows. In Cyprus, such windows are more expensive, but this is a “double kill” option: heat retention and additional sound insulation.
- Replacing sliding windows with tilt-and-turn windows. The latter keep heat much better and exclude drafts.
- Glazing balconies in an apartment or installing a small glazed veranda around the perimeter of a private house. Perfectly saves in the winter from the wind, and in the summer from direct sunlight.
- Radical method: lay windows, partially or completely. If you have a panoramic window or several windows in one room, then they can be laid completely or reduced. Of course, you will reduce the amount of light in the room, but at the same time significantly reduce heat loss.
- Underfloor heating system. Yes, this is a costly option. But it can only be used in the most necessary places: the bathroom, the nursery, in one corner of the bedroom. Take note - infrared heating elements consume electricity twice as economically, and at the same time they give the same amount of heat - and even more.
You can talk a lot more about warming, this practically does not apply to the topic of the article. It is only important to note that both underfloor heating and window replacement are approximately stage number six.
Step 7: Installing or replacing doors and windows
Please note: this stage is in 7th place very conditionally!
The time for replacing doors (entrance and interior) is set individually. Since it all depends on the amount and type of repair work.
For example, you are going to carry out major (or almost major) repairs. Huge amounts of building materials and debris will be brought in and out through the front doors, and later, large-sized furniture. Scratched jambs can be considered minimal damage, usually much more deplorable consequences remain.
So the front door is most often left "for a snack." But interior doors can and should be changed before proceeding with the finishing work. But be careful: if you plan to install large furniture, estimate in advance how easily it will pass through the doorways.
The windows are simpler: they can be installed at almost any stage - before the floor and walls are finished.
Stage 8: drawing up a design project
After all the capital work has been completed, you can think in more detail about the appearance of your home. Approximately from this stage, by the way, the so-called cosmetic repairs begin.
Of course, the most luxurious option is to go to the designer, voice your requests to him, and then get virtual pictures of the future interior. Make edits, then some more edits. And now you already see your apartment or house with your own eyes, as if in a photograph.
But not everyone has the opportunity and desire to contact the designer. And don't worry, you can always do it on your own.
Here are some options:
- Regular photoshop. If you have basic skills, then it will not be difficult for you to “cut” and “paste” furniture, flooring, windows and other important interior elements of the right size and color. Blanks can be found in pictures all over the Internet.
- Free software for interior design. As a rule, they have limited functionality, but for beginners it is enough. Without special education, you will be able to design your own design and see how your rooms will be in the future.
- Full repetition of the picture from the Internet. For some, this option seems too complicated, but for someone - as simple as possible. If you have a trained eye, then you can really repeat what you see in the photo. The main thing - consider the size and proportions, this is the most difficult moment.
Before you visualize your future rooms, do not forget to take a walk around the hardware stores. So you can first look, feel and “smell” the materials that will be used later. At the same time, make an estimate!
Step 9: Finishing from top to bottom
Traditionally, the ceiling, walls and floor are finished from top to bottom so as not to damage or stain what has already been done. That is, first - the ceiling, then - the walls, and finally - the floor. Sometimes they deviate from this scheme. For example, if the flooring suits you, then it makes no sense to change it when repainting the walls or ceiling.
You can do all the work yourself - or hire professionals. In any case, be attentive to the little things: joints and seams, matching colors, even surfaces. This neatness creates the overall impression of the entire apartment.
Tip: start finishing from the back rooms, and finish with a corridor and a hallway. So you do not damage or stain what has already been done. The ideal layout is first a veranda, then bedrooms, a nursery and an office, then a living room and a kitchen, bathrooms, and finally an entrance hall.
Before you start finishing work in the kitchen, make sure that all communications are laid and working. Plumbing and sewerage, as well as electrical appliances must be in order.
Be sure to consider the dimensions of the sink and stove (if it is gas). This significantly affects the docking of these items with communications.
The question "what comes first - tiles or plumbing" will remain eternal. Someone prefers to lay the tiles first, in order to install dry sinks, bathrooms and showers. Others believe that the tile is put in last, so as not to spoil it with installation work.
Therefore, you need to decide for yourself what you will do first. If the work is performed by the master, be sure to ask about the sequence and its validity.
Stage 10: Buying and arranging furniture and accessories
Finally the finishing touches are ready! You can put furniture and live in beauty and cleanliness!
But... and here everything may not be so smooth. For example, you have already looked after a wonderful dinner set, and it suddenly disappeared from sale. Or the sofa, when considered, turned out to be the wrong shade - it will not be combined with the color of the walls.
There are a few tips to avoid embarrassing accidents:
- Get a mini-catalogue of samples. On 10 x 10 cm cardboard boxes, apply wall paint, paste wallpaper swatches, hem pieces of fabric for curtains, sofa upholstery, etc. Shop around with this homemade "catalog" and check compatibility.
- On the last page of the catalog, enter the dimensions of everything that is in the whole room or apartment. For example: "The length of 1 wall is 3.32 m, the length of 2 walls is 4.05 m, the stove is 68 cm, the refrigerator is 74 cm." You can imagine all this in the form of a drawing. So you will not be mistaken and will not fall into a stalemate “does not fit!”.
- Pick a couple of alternatives ahead of time. So that if the desired option is not found, you can more easily reach a compromise - with your family and with yourself.
- Be sure to tell the whole family what each of you wants. So that there are no “well moms, I wanted a black table, not a gray one!” moments.
Focus on your taste and trust your opinion. In order not to make common mistakes, protect yourself by reading our article. And also feel free to ask for advice on thematic forums - you will definitely be given a lot of good recommendations.
Interested in real estate in Cyprus? Welcome to DOM! Here you will find options for houses and apartments in Limassol, Paphos, Larnaca and Famagusta, as well as get the help of experienced professionals.
- How to make a cozy apartment in Cyprus: 6 tips for landlords
- Medical tourism in Cyprus
- Paphos vs. Limassol. All the pros and cons
- 10 reasons for moving to Cyprus with children
- Anti-Top: 10 Annoying Interior Mistakes
- Rearranging Furniture - Great Alternative to Renovating an Apartment
Photos: free images.google, yandex.ru/images