Combining holidays and health improvement is obviously a great idea, especially for those people who do not have the opportunity to travel often. Cyprus is one of the best places on earth for it. The climate, ecology and the services level make the island attractive for medical tourism.
1. Cyprus is actively developing in the field of medical tourism
Doctors from all over the world come to live and work on the island. After they receive high qualifications and experience in the best medical universities in Europe, Asia and post-soviet countries, specialists go to Cyprus. Free medical system (for Cypriot citizens and residents) is also excellent.
Today Cyprus is a developing destination for medical tourism. The island is just entering the international arena, but in terms of the quality of services it can already compete with giants as Germany, the United Arab Emirates, or China.
Public and private clinics in Cyprus cooperate with specialists from Israel, they learn from Israelis, purchase equipment, exchange valuable information.
During the coronavirus pandemic, Cyprus has become a country with a low infection rate. The epidemiological situation here is relatively calm, which is achieved through natural isolation (island) and good protection measures.
2. Why is medicine in Cyprus better than in some other countries?
Cyprus has several significant advantages over other countries famous for their healing resorts.
At some points, medicine in Cyprus is better than in Germany, Israel and the United Arab Emirates. Because of these:
- Insurance for foreigners in Cyprus cost much less than in Germany or Israel. At the same time, the quality of medical services is at a similarly high level.
- If the patient cannot be fully assisted in Cyprus, or rehabilitation requires special conditions, they will be sent to tone of the EU countries to receive further treatment, and this is included in the cost of insurance.
- Free medicine is available not only to those who have Cypriot citizenship. Holders of permanent residence permit can also receive medical care in public clinics of the island. This is especially important for those who require a complex elective surgery or long-term rehabilitation.
- The unique climate of the island. Cyprus is very comfortable at any time of the year. This is a key point for ill people. The coast is always warm in winter, the average temperature in the winter months is between +10 and +20 degrees. In summer, it is recommended to go to the mountains to hide from the exhausting heat: clean air has its healing power.
- Excellent ecology. There are no manufacturing plants on the island, as well as a large number of cars. Therefore, even the city air is clean and pleasant. What can we say about the suburbs and the seaside!
- Healthy population. How does this relate to medical tourism? The islanders rarely get sick as there are not so many viruses and other infectious diseases. The sun and salty air disinfect the environment, so people with weak immunity should definitely visit Cyprus.
- Calm environment. One of the key stages of successful treatment and recovery is a good mood and inner peace. It is calm here (especially in the non-tourist season and areas), almost always sunny, and the people are very friendly and relaxed.
- Service in different languages. Cyprus is a multinational island. Here they speak not only Greek, but also English, Russian and other European languages. This often becomes an undeniable advantage when choosing a country for treatment and recovery, since the patient wants to communicate with doctors without language barriers.
3. What areas of medical tourism are developed in Cyprus
Cyprus has the highest level of medical services in the following fields:
- plastic surgery;
- male and female reproductive health;
- IVF (in vitro fertilization);
- orthopedics and spine treatment;
- surgery and planned operations;
- cardiology and treatment of cardiovascular diseases;
- recovery and rehabilitation.
The actively developing areas include gynecology, dentistry, diagnosis and treatment of oncological diseases. Services in these areas are at a very high level, especially in highly specialized private clinics.
Each of the fields has its own advantages. It is worth considering each of them in detail.
3.1. Plastic surgery and cosmetology
Aesthetic medicine is one of those areas that are successfully developing in Cyprus. Plastic surgeons and cosmetologists use the latest techniques and modern technology to work wonders. According to statistics, more than 2,500 plastic surgeries are performed in Cyprus every year.
Minimally invasive methods of correcting appearance are now gaining popularity: these are botox injections and hyaluronic acid. Cypriot specialists are at their best in this area. Average price for the service is EUR 150-400.
More serious intervention is required for:
- enlargement or change in the shape of the breast;
- liposuction of the abdomen and hips, etc.
The cost of the operation can vary from EUR 2,000 to 5,000, all recovery procedures are also included here.
The most popular plastic surgery clinics in Cyprus:
- Limassol: 2bBeautiful, Cyprus Sun Med Connections, Morfi;
- Paphos: Blue Cross;
- Nicosia: Cosmetic Surgery Cyprus, Hippocrateon Private Hospital.
Each clinic provides a range of related services and treatments in other areas of health.
3.2. Male and female reproductive health, including IVF
People have been going to Cyprus to treat infertility for several thousand years. And this is not surprising as the island is considered the birthplace of the goddess of love Aphrodite. She was responsible precisely for female beauty and health.
After Cyprus became Christian, women from the Greek mainland came to Cyprus monasteries to ask God to send a child. Indeed, there are still several large monastic complexes here, in which a ritual is held to get rid of infertility.
But now science and medicine have made great strides. Men and women visit the best clinics in Cyprus to solve their problems. By the way: many ladies prefer to treat women's diseases here.
List of clinics with an excellent reputation:
- Nicosia: Mother & Child Medical Center, AKESO Fertility Center, European SD Clinic, Pedieos in vitro fertilization center;
- Limassol: Pantazis, Patroclou Clinic;
- Paphos: Royal Artemis Medical Center.
Thousands of women from all over the world come to Cyprus for the in vitro fertilization (IVF) procedure. They note that the air on the island, its unique climate and atmosphere contribute to the successful medical procedure and the birth of healthy babies.
3.3. Orthopedics and spine treatment
Some Cypriot clinics deal with the musculoskeletal system. As a rule, even in wide-profile private hospitals, orthopedic services are provided at a first-class level.
You can ask for help from the specialists of any major city in Cyprus: Larnaca, Limassol, Paphos or Nicosia. If a long-term recovery is required, you can continue it here in Cyprus, in closed sanatorium-type complexes.
3.4. Cardiology and treatment of cardiovascular diseases
The mountainous climate of Cyprus is an ideal place for relaxation and treatment for those who suffer from problems with the cardiovascular system. In summer it is not hot and dry enough, but in winter you can go closer to the coast for warmth and sun.
Many cardiologists in Cyprus have studied abroad. True, on the island, operations and other interventions are carried out using the latest European equipment, which reduces risks to a minimum.
4. SPA and thalassotherapy in Cyprus
Another feature of medical tourism in Cyprus is thalassotherapy. What is it? Literally "thalassotherapy" means "treatment by the sea". This field has certain types of procedures:
- sea water;
- therapeutic mud;
- pastime in the sea air.
Each of the treatments has specific goals. Procedures with hot sea water help to solve spine problems, make the skin elastic and achieve an anti-cellulite effect. Algae wrap rejuvenates, makes skin and subcutaneous tissues better, solves the problem of blood vessels. Mud helps after injuries, and the sea air helps to strengthen the immune system and reduce anxiety.
Thalassotherapy, like classic spa treatments, is carried out in any of the spa hotels in Cyprus. Many of them offer separate programs for health improvement.
For example, a team of doctors and cosmetologists works with a group of guests in a mountainous area in a closed area. The program lasts for 2 weeks, after which tourists notice a significant improvement in health in general.
Cyprus is a real paradise island for relaxation and recovery. Medical tourism is only revealing its potential, and in the coming years it will only become better.
Planning to stay in Cyprus? At dom.com.cy you will find a variety of rental offers for apartments and houses, both long-term and short-term. And if you are interested in obtaining permanent residence in Cyprus when investing in real estate, then contact our specialists!