Cyprus has begun accepting applications for participation in two grant projects from the government, with the help of which residents of the country can significantly reduce their energy consumption costs.
The first scheme provides for the provision of sponsorship for the thermal insulation of ceilings and the installation of new photovoltaic systems.
Depending on the category, applicants can obtain the following government subsidies:
- Category 1. Thermal insulation of ceilings in existing houses. Financing is provided in the amount of 30% of the eligible costs of the applicant. At the same time, the maximum amount of state support cannot exceed 1.5 thousand euros.
- Category 2. Thermal insulation of ceilings in existing houses combined with the installation of a photovoltaic system. Financing is provided in the amount of 35% of the eligible costs of the applicant. The maximum amount of state support cannot exceed 3 thousand euros.
- Category 3. Installation of a photovoltaic system by net metering in existing homes. The sponsorship amount is 250 euros for each peak kW. At the same time, for vulnerable categories of consumers, the amount increases to 750 euros per kW. The maximum amount of government support cannot exceed 3.75 thousand euros.
It is worth noting that for applicants whose houses are located in mountainous areas, it was decided to double the amount of state subsidies. Candidates for increased government subsidies will be identified based on the postcode provided by the Mountain Community Development Commissioner.
The total budget for this project is 7.31 million euros.
It is expected to cover about 4.5 thousand applications. The scheme will run until December 20, 2021, or until the available budget is exhausted, whichever comes first.
The second scheme concerns the installation and replacement of an integrated solar water heating system and solar panels.
According to the plan, the beneficiaries of which are individuals, sponsorship is provided for the following categories of investments:
- Installation or replacement of an integrated solar water heating system (water heater and solar panels). The sponsorship amount is 350 euros.
- Installation or replacement of solar panels only. The amount of government subsidies is 175 euros.
As in the first scheme, for applicants whose homes are located in mountainous areas, the amount of government subsidies is doubled.
The total budget for this project is 390 thousand euros.
It is expected to cover about 1,000 applications. The plan will be implemented until September 1, 2021, or until the available budget is exhausted, whichever comes first.
Applications for participation in the programs can be submitted online on the website. It must be said that the application portal, as well as the forms and requirements for applicants, have been modernized and significantly simplified to make them more user-friendly. The Cyprus Ministry of Energy encourages citizens to study the relevant guidelines before completing and submitting an application. Further instructions are provided in the Frequently Asked Questions section.
In addition, applicants can see leaflets that contain helpful tips and technical advice.
For additional information, those who wish can contact the Board of the RES and EXE Foundation by phone 22409350 or through the contact page available on the website of the organizations.