Many mountainous regions of Cyprus are being modernized by the end of 2021.
Interior Minister Nicos Nouris said that the government plans to implement 83 infrastructure projects worth about 237 million euros in total.
The main goal is to stop deruralization, which has been observed in the villages of the island in recent years, to encourage young people to move to the countryside for permanent residence, as well as to improve the quality of life of mountainous regions' permanent residents.
'Focusing on the statements of the President of Cyprus, guided by our firm position on the need to support the countryside and revitalize our mountain communities, following the announcement of housing plans and plans to provide urban incentives and benefits, we are announcing today an infrastructure projects program that covers all areas of social activity in our mountainous regions. In particular, it concerns the areas of health, education, social security, transport, tourism, agriculture, environment, security and fire fighting, as well as energy efficiency of buildings,' the minister stressed.
It is worth noting that there are 83 projects: 24 (EUR 8 million) have already been completed, 49 projects (EUR 65 million) are currently in the process of implementation and another 10 worth (EUR 164 million) will be announced in the near future.
The most significant projects presented by the Government of Cyprus concern:
- construction of the Kilani Environmental Education Center
- restoration of the water mill in Platanistasa
- construction of a multipurpose center in Aska
- construction of the Troodos observatory
- restoration of the central square in Korakou
- modernization of the main road in Gourri
- reconstruction of the building for the therapist in Kalopanayiotis
- creation of a pulmonary (tuberculosis) department, as well as modernization of the emergency department at Troodos hospital
- expanding the ambulance fleet to cover the needs of the residents of Evrychou, Kampos, Moniatis and Pedoulas
- construction of kindergartens in the villages of Kalopanayiotis, Pachna, Agia Marina Xyliatou, Palaichori
- creation of optional primary schools and day care centers
- creation of the Cultural Foundation for the Troodos region
- modernization of systems and infrastructure of Troodos mountain communities
- modernization of the Fire Department in the village of Pachna.