On Wednesday, March 31st, one of the largest universities on the island, the University of Cyprus, announced an international architectural competition to design dormitories for its students.
According to the idea, the buildings should be erected on the student campus. In total, 732 additional rooms will be available to students. Thus, there will be a total of 940 beds on the campus.
It should be noted that additional dormitories will cost the University of Cyprus 35 million euros.
Any interested architect can apply for participation in the competition until June 29, 2021. This can be done at www.eprocurement.gov.cy.
The projects will be evaluated by a competent jury, which included:
- Pandora Tseriotou - Head and member of the Board of the University of Cyprus.
- Christos Hadjichristos - Architect, assistant professor of architecture at the University of Cyprus, and a member of the Board of the University of Cyprus.
- Konstantinos Moraitis - Member of the Board of the University of Cyprus, architect.
- Mike Serof - Member of the Board of the University of Cyprus and a local architect.
- Marios Christodoulides - Architect, Representative of the Cyprus Scientific and Technical Chamber (ETEK).
- Harris Hadjivasiliou - Architect, Representative of the Cyprus Association of Architects (SAK).
- Vasos Olympios - Member of the Board of the University of Cyprus, Head of PC Technical Services, Head of Campus Development Office.
The jury is expected to vote for the best works to be awarded with cash prizes:
- For the first place, the winner will receive 80 thousand euros.
- For the second - 60 thousand euros.
- For the third - 40 thousand euros.
Also, two participants in the competition will receive consolation prizes in the amount of 15 thousand euros.