Coronavirus situation is significantly affecting the relationship between property owners and tenants in Cyprus. It has been the subject of discussion among both sides.
The government and local parties are trying to offer some proposals to resolve the situation.
On Friday, May 1, the leaders of AKEL, DIKO and EDEK submitted a bill the evictions of tenants with express procedures until September 30th.
Recall, on January 24, the Parliament of the Republic of Cyprus approved a bill, that allowing the eviction in two weeks unscrupulous tenants.
Then, because of coronavirus pandemic, on March 27, the Parliament of the Republic of Cyprus approved the bill, which not allowed the eviction of tenants until May 31.
According to rapporteurs, due to the pandemic of coronavirus. It is considered necessary to take temporary legislative measures to protect tenants.
The leaders of AKEL, DIKO and EDEK noted that their bill does not urge not to pay, and do not cancel the obligation to pay for a rental property in Cyprus.
In particular, for the purpose of protecting and supporting tenants, they should be provided with a reasonable period of time until October, in order to acquire relative financial dynamics that will allow them to meet their contractual obligations.
On Friday, the Parliament of the Republic of Cyprus gave the green light to five bills, that will contribute to the efforts for the restart of the economy.
- The first bill harmonizes national law with European law on the precautionary supervision on investment companies
- The second bill introduces new provisions for the staffing and creation of the structure and organic positions of officials of the office of the State Audit Office Supervisor
- The third law introduces provisions for the regulation of the operation of the Central System of Registers of State Aid and Aid of Importance
- The fourth bill provides tax incentives for induvial investing in innovative businesses either directly or through an investment fund
- The fifth bill postpones for December 31, 2020, the deadline for payment, by the companies, of the annual fee of 350 EUR instead of June 30.
Source : Philenews