Third-country nationals are those who have passports of non-European states. To visit European countries, including Cyprus, citizens of some third-countries need to obtain a visa. In many cases, a Schengen visa of category C or D is suitable for this.
Schengen visa and its types
A Schengen visa allows you to visit the countries of the Schengen Agreement (26 countries), as well as some other countries of the European Union. Among them is the Republic of Cyprus.
In total, there are three types of Schengen visas:
- A - transit visa (through the airport);
- С - visitor / tourist short-term visa;
- D is a national visa, which is usually obtained by students or persons working in the Schengen area.
Each category C visa is valid according to the rule "90 days of stay in a period of 180 days". This means that in total for six months, a person cannot spend more than 90 days in the Schengen area.
Visas are single-entry, double-entry and multiple-entry. Some visas can be valid for 1, 2, 3 and even 5 years. The visa must be issued by the country which the applicant will stay the most days in.
Rules of entry to Cyprus under Schengen visa
You can enter Cyprus with a single or multiple Schengen visa. It is allowed to stay on the island as long as 90 days per 180-day period. For example, a person spent 12 days of vacation in Germany, which means that he will anyway be able to live in Cyprus 90 days within 180 days.
You can enter the Republic of Cyprus from any country with a double or multiple Schengen visa. An exception is single visas: in this case, the visa holder is allowed to fly to Cyprus exclusively from the Schengen area. Within one trip.
How to get a Schengen visa from your home country
The package of documents is as follows:
- passports with copies of all pages;
- color photograph, where the face occupies at least 70% of the entire photo area (you will need 1 or 2 photos);
- medical insurance with coverage of 30 thousand euros;
- proof of place of residence, booking tickets or a guest invitation;
- confirmation of movement, reservation or copies of tickets, the route laid when traveling by private car;
- bank statement: there must be a certain amount of funds for the entire stay;
- A completed application form;
- for minors - parental consent to travel abroad, birth certificate;
- for workers - a certificate from the place of work;
- pension card for senior citizens, student card for students;
- for individual entrepreneurs and self-employed - a certificate of registration and tax registration;
- for non-working citizens - confirmation that there are reasons to return to their home country, and they are not going to become illegal immigrants, all kinds of documents are suitable for this: sponsorship letter, proof of livelihood (shares, real estate, other valuable things), marriage certificate and etc.;
- receipt for payment of consular fees;
- biometrics - taking fingerprints.
The following categories of guests receive Schengen free of charge:
- children under 12 years old;
- members of delegations and government officials;
- people whose purpose of stay is treatment (this includes the persons accompanying them);
- disabled persons of the 1st group and their attendants;
- students and their supervisors going to study, internship, etc.;
- participants in international sports events and competitions;
- relatives traveling to loved ones for the funeral.
How to get a Schengen visa from Cyprus
If a person lives in Cyprus and has Cypriot citizenship, then they do not need a Schengen visa. He has the right to travel throughout the European Union, live in any of the countries, study and work.
A third country national permanently living in Cyprus may need to obtain a visa before traveling to the Schengen area.
To do this, they need to contact the embassy of the country they are going to visit and submit the list of documents specified above.
The following papers are added to them:
Temporary residence permit or permanent residence permit;
Alien Registration Card of the Republic of Cyprus (ARC), which is also called Alien Card for short.
It is necessary to sign up for the submission of documents to the embassy in advance, as well as take into account the lengthy visa processing. Therefore, it is better to plan your trip ahead of time.
It is not necessary to stay at hotels to travel in comfort. On dom.com.cy you can find long and short term rental options. Also in the database there are many options for real estate to buy in Limassol and Paphos.
- House or apartment in Cyprus - what to choose? (link)
- Golf in Cyprus - courses and reviews (link)
- All about real estate Cyprus (link)
- Accommodation for students in Cyprus (link)
- Buying property in Cyprus to live with children (link)